Monday 15 September 2014

August: Poletastic!


August was all about pole...shiny not Chinese! At the very end of July I was lucky enough to get involved in a music video for Melbourne band Halycon Drive. Every year, radio station Triple J teams up with NIDA (Sydney's National Institute for Dramatic Arts) to give bands and creatives the chance to get together and produce a music video – the winning band gets a record deal and the creative team a lot of exposure to the industry, so the stakes are high!

One of my circus friends, Zeb, is studying at NIDA and put out an advert for any circus folk willing to get involved and showcase their talent. No pay, just a fun day out and free pizza - anyone who knows me knows that's enough ;). And given my flexible work and lifestyle over here, I was able to commit to filming one Thursday, at the Colombian Hotel/Bar on Oxford Street.

The theme was bright and brash, verging on the grotesque, so we all had great fun choosing outfits and getting make-up done. As well as myself, there was another pole dancer, David, and Bailey, who did hoop and contortion. Then there were a number of actors and extras hired to dance!




The storyline was dreamlike (turned nightmare!) so I also had a bit-part in a gas mask and hoodie....!


The rest of my month was spent gearing up for an acrobatic pole performance at The Victoria Room in Kings Cross on 24th August. They run a 'carnival' night every Sunday and have a number of different acts perform each week, from aerial, pole and hoop to burlesque and jazz duets. I went there very early on in my year in Sydney, imagined how cool it would be to perform there....and, well, it only took me 6 months to pluck up the courage to approach the manager!

I created two routines, both for spinning pole, one slow and the other more dynamic. Both are up on my website. I am happy with how they went, and remembered how much fun it is to perform! And I'm thankful to all my lovely friends who came to support – and film!




No comments:

Post a Comment