Monday 23 December 2013

Week 11: Looking Back & Looking Forward


11 weeks at Circomedia have come to an end. I can't believe just how fast it went. I can't believe I won't be going in on Monday 6th January, and catching up with everyone before cracking on with another term's hard work. Turns out three months just wasn't enough to achieve everything I wanted to achieve. I certainly do feel stronger and fitter, and my trapeze technique has definitely improved, but I don't have a portfolio of perfectly polished acts across the disciplines that I thought I would come out with! But I'm not complaining because these three months have given me more than I ever conceived of. I didn't really know what to expect from circus school - and every minute of it has been a joy. Every day provided new surprises and moments I'll never forget, and I've absorbed and gained so much else aside from pure technique and strength training – in movement, theatre, performance, creativity and friendships that will last a lifetime. Which is the Circomedia experience, its forte. A BIG thank you to all of you, my teachers and friends who made it so special.



I do also wonder to what extent the part of me that wants to stay at school simply wants to continue deferring the real decisions: the hard work and potential disappointments involved in trying to find work in the circus world; of potentially compromising my ideals in the need to earn money. But at the same time I am excited to be moving on. I certainly couldn't at this stage go back to my 'old' life, where I fear my new experiences and plans could be drowned by all the hustle and bustle and pressures of London living. Yet whilst it seems so natural to me now, that of course I want to stay in the circus world, when I think back to my trepidation and doubts before coming to Circomedia, I realise just how much I have achieved. And I feel proud of myself. I have not simply 'survived' physically (which was a worry!) - I have flourished and want more.

So...next stop Australia - in under two weeks! My ticket is one way (it made economical sense, but felt quite different pyschologically to buying a return!) and takes me to Sydney. I've sent a few probing messages and emails to friends of friends out there working in circus, but I think it will be a lot easier to network and get to know the scene once I've arrived. I'd love to find work performing, but if I can't do that, or if it's only sporadic (at festivals, parties etc.), then I'd at least like to keep up my training - ideally by taking on some teaching work, which would give me access to a training space. But if it takes me some time to find my feet, who cares? Because it's hot and sunny :) and there's a whole country out there to explore, with many great experiences along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment